Sunday, August 24, 2014

We - and our flags - are all the same


Thinking about people, flags, and symbols...
I have a full time job working in the Bronx, New York City usually interacting with people of many different cultures, religions and languages.  My ancestors who migrated from Quebec to New York for jobs and work really do not seem much different than the fathers and mothers I meet everyday at my work.  They are struggling, often working several jobs and want their children to get a good education.  While living and working in New York City, I noticed how similar the Acadian Flag and the flag of Puerto Rico are...the lone star set in blue with red and white stripes. Here's photos of a PR day parade in NYC. The more I look at the photos, the more the celebrants look the same: colors, faces, children and fun!  




And here are photos I took  at the Acadian Tintamarre parade held in Madawaska, Maine on 15 August 2014:







The happy faces are the same in both NYC and Madawaska.  Both flags use the same colors and the white star on the blue background.  

When they're waved it's hard to tell the difference!



Below is a recap of the stories written about Acadians in this blog so far.  This list includes some early posts that may not have been well researched but I am reviewing them for accuracy and hope they will "make the cut"!

No comments:

Post a Comment