Friday, January 14, 2011

A First Nation Mother, Marie Aubois

Marie Christine Aubois, born about 1665,  married Jean Roy dit Laliberté in Port Royal (present day Annapolis Royal, Nova Scotia) about 1686.  She through her maternal line was native American,  probably Mi'kmaq and he was a Frenchman from St. Malo.  Marie Christine and Jean Roy's daughter, Madeleine Roy, married Louis Fontaine and is a mother-ancestor in the Rivet - Lord family.  Madeleine Roy and Louis Fontaine were expelled from Port Royal in the Grand Deportation.






Here are beginning resources about the Mi'kmaq peoples: Mi'kmaq Resources at Cape Breton University  and Traditional Mi'kmaq Culture

Mi'kmaq Encampment


Here are links to stories of two other First Nation mothers on this blog:

Marie Miteouamegoukoue - a mother of Mylotts

Catherine Anenotha - a mother of Wills-Bissonnette-Beauvais

6 comments:

  1. Hi, I am delighted that I found your blog. I borrowed the picture of the Mi'kmaq encampment painting you have here and put a link to your blog on mine. Thanks, it's great to find your genealogical resources and also writings that put the info in an interesting context. Here's the link to where I posted the image from your page - http://dorothystewart.net/2012/02/22/newfoundland-mikmaq-books/ and I will also put your link on my Nfld Mi'kmaq Family History and Genealogy page. Hope that's ok.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Name is Heather Shaw and Im doing my family Tree and Aubois, Marie (1665-1760) come up as my
    7th great-grandmother of wife of 1st cousin 1x removed of husband of great-granddaughter

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie Christine Aubois married my 8th great grandfather Jean Dit Laliberte Roy in 1686

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marie is my 9th great grandmother my line comes down through her son Jean-Francois. Such an exciting discovery. Looks like we are part of the family that somehow escaped being deported.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My name is Rae Martin and I am doing my neighbours family tree for her. Marie Christine Aubois and Jean Roy is her 8 x's Gr. Grandparents. I am amazed at the history she has in her family. She said that she had heard she has Metis in her family and asked if I could find out if that was true. It is indeed very true. Her line goes back to the 500's. Crazy! I googled Marie Aubois' name and I found your blog. It is wonderful! Thank You so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just found her Marie listed as my 12th great grandmother on my paternal side. My grandmother is Louisiana Creole. This is amazing, I have a photo! Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete